Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My son's Staffie has lived with me (69yr old lady)

Customer Question

My son's Staffie has lived with me (69yr old lady) for last 4 months whilst we try to find best possible new home for him. He's well looked after, walked twice a day and we love each other to bits! However, vet has just diagnosed mild stress colitis. I have to leave him alone (never more than 6 hrs) at least 3 days a week. Also he gets wildly excited when visitors come - especially his old family (my son, partner & new baby). I cannot stop people coming to the house so can you advise best herbal/natural remedy to give only when necessary
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.

Are you asking for a remedy for the stress colitis, or a remedy for him getting wildly excited?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

A remedy for the over-excitability please - some sort of herbal tranquilliser that I can give him at stressful times. I gave him the vet prescribed medication for the colitis which is currently under control.

Okay. You can give diphenhydramine HCl (in the USA, that is Benadryl, but in the UK I think Benadryl is something else, so ask your chemist for diphenhydramine HCl. You would want to give 1mg/lb about an hour before people are going to be coming over.

For a more natural solution, you can also try a DAP collar:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADAPTIL-C66410C-Adaptil-Collar/dp/B0031TI4RI/ref=sr_1_1/276-9208813-0384054?ie=UTF8&qid=1427480581&sr=8-1&keywords=dap+collar
It is a pheromone collar that is calming and soothing, and that is very natural. You would put it on him a half hour before people come over.

You can try Composure Liquid, which is natural:
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Vetri-Science-Composure-Liquid-Max-Supplement-38-oz/125045.aspx

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.