Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

i have a springer spaniel rescue dog that is terrified of getting

Customer Question

i have a springer spaniel rescue dog that is terrified of getting into my car. i would to take him on holiday but dont know if it would be kinder to leave him at home.
ps .he shows no signs of nervousness or fear about anything else.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This is a common trait in some dogs. They develop fears that cause extreme anxiety similar to those anxieties of humans. The only way to get him over this is "Desensitization" which means constant exposure until Gerrard realizes that these fears will not hurt him. To do this, first avoid these while making your dog comfortable in his situation. You may need help in doing this since when you try, as you have experienced, he is too afraid to understand. Purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety.
Thundershirts are useful since this is one of the most common fears causing extreme anxiety and can be very effective.
If this is not enough, your vet will have medication to help him past this. Take Gerrard to your vet for an exam to be sure there is not a medical cause for this and ask about anti anxiety medication such as Fluoxetine or Buspirone. Then expose him to the things he fears over and over, constantly talking in a soft voice and giving treats when he does something positive. Here is a site with more tips:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/fear-of-thunder-sounds-or-noises/page1.aspx

If you do not have the time to work on this with Gerrard, it may be better to leave Gerrard at home this time and then start working on getting him over this fear. Something very bad has frightened Gerrard in a car before you got him and now it will take some work to get him over this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much, Brian, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I am sure Gerrard will improve with your help.

Have a wonderful day!!