Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

we are very worried about our dog he's not eating drinking

Customer Question

we are very worried about our dog he's not eating drinking and tries to get up but is struggling,his breathing isn't right also
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. How long has he been like this?
I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
If you look at his gums, are they pink? Or do they look pale? If his gums are pale or white in color, that is serious and he needs to see a veterinarian, as soon as possible.
This could be a number of things: heart disease, infection, internal organ disease or failure (liver, kidneys, lungs, heart) or cancer.
If he were mine, I would start with a good physical exam: take his temperature, feel his lymph nodes and internal organs, listen to his heart, feel his pulses, listen for fluid or congestion in his lungs.
At his age, this is may be something serious. You can't know how to treat him until you know what is wrong.
When dogs refuse to eat, they are telling us something is wrong. This can lead to dehydration, which will make whatever is making him sick, even worse. Try to get liquids into him like broth or water or electolyte water.
Is there a vet nearby you can take him to? Or that does housecalls?
I am very worried by your description; he is in need of medical care.
Let me know what other questions you have.
Rebecca