Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I have a two year old female bichon frise who has suffered

Customer Question

I have a two year old female bichon frise who has suffered from a never ending yeast infection in one of her ears sincs she was 6 months old. I have been to our vet many times and used different ear cleaners, antibiotics, steroids etc including a fairly new treatment specifically for this problem malacet aural - all to no avail. I have been online and tied thornits powdwer which helped a little but not that much. I took her to a groomer two weeks ago who extracted about 2 inches of fur coated in a tick brown wax (which I had been unable to remove and was unaware of) - they said there is still more in there and there does appear to be. I seem to have seen different, young and quite inexperienced vets each time but now I really need to try and get this sorted out - any advice will be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Bichon. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
You have probably already been told this, but chronic yeast infections are usually caused by an allergy. It can be an allergy to things in the environment (pollen, dust, grass, etc.) or to a food she is eating.
Trying a limited ingredient diet might be worth a try. A limited ingredient diet has only one meat and one grain, and those have to be ingredients that are not in her current food: duck/potato, venison/sweet potato, turkey/barley, etc. To begin, you have to feed only the new diet; no treats or table food. If you see improvement in 4 to 6 weeks then it may be a food allergy.
Just switching to a "grain free" or "hypoallergenic" diet is not the same thing. You have to start her on entirely new ingredients.
There is a new allergy drug called Apoquel that is coming out that shows a lot of promise with allergies.
Every case is different, so what works with one dog may not help another. I have had success with acupuncture, with supplements such as nettles, probiotics, fish oil, evening primrose oil.
Keeping the ear clean, the hair removed, and getting all the discharge clean down to the ear drum helps. Sometimes this involves sedation and cleaning and flushing until you can see the ear drum.
I like to combine an anti inflammatory medication with an anti yeast ingredient. If you do not treat the inflammation, the yeast will persist. I mix a product called Synotic drops with miconazole drops and use a few drops of the mixture once to twice daily.
These cases are frustrating, because they often come back, and there is no one sure fire cure. You might consider working with a specialist like a veterinary dermatologist.
Let me know what else I can help with or answer.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thanks for that I have been considering a change in diet for her but she is very greedy and good at finding food so this will be difficult. Can you recommend a good dog food that I can buy as I wouldn't know where to begin cooking/making up food for her every day. Also how would I be able to get hold of the drops you described ?

Many Thanks

Karen

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Karen,
The Synotic drops are only available from a veterinarian. The miconazole can be purchased over the counter. I mix them for my clients, and put them in a dropper bottle, sometimes combined with an ear cleanser.
The diets I like are Royal Canin limited ingredient diets ( available at vet offices), and Nature's Ba***** *****mited Ingredient diets. You can ask for help at a pet food store, but read the labels carefully to be sure there really are just the one meat and one grain. Purina Pro Plan also makes limited ingredient diets.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thankyou - some vets have advised not to have her ears plucked as this can aggravate the condition whilst others have said that while she has so much fur in her ears the problem will persist ?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I agree with not plucking healthy ears; leave them alone!
However, if there is an infection, getting everything cleaned out can help, so I would remove the hair from that ear until I can see the ear drum with an otoscope. The thick dark wax you saw when the groomer pulled out the hair was probably full of yeast if it had been examined under a microscope; the dark color is usually associated with yeast.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thankyou for your help that was very useful - I have an appointment tomorrow with quite an experienced vet so will take your ideas along with me !

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome! Let me know how she is doing.
Kindly consider rating my answer, when all your questions have been answered.
Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the great rating.
Rebecca