Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My dog has started to drool excessively tonight. He pulled

My dog has started to drool excessively tonight. He pulled hard on his rope lead earlier. Could the pull have caused the drooling?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

Yes, the drooling could be due to the rope lead.

Dr. Susan :

We can see excessive drooling due to oral pain or a foreign body.

Dr. Susan :

Are you able to look in Shadow's mouth?

Customer:

Hi. Yes he will let me look in his mouth. What am I looking for?

Dr. Susan :

I would look for any rope that may have gotten stuck between his teeth, a fractured tooth, blood or excessive redness along the gumline.

Dr. Susan :

Were you able to see anything abnormal?

Customer:

Hi. Can't see any foreign bodies. He was on the lead earlier, it didn't go into his mouth. He was pulling towards another dog. Could it have damaged his neck. There are no signs of blood or broken teeth that I can see

Dr. Susan :

Oh, I understand what you mean now. I thought you meant he was playing tug with a rope in his mouth. My misunderstanding.

Customer:

No problem.

Dr. Susan :

The excessive pulling could cause inflammation in a salivary gland. We can also see drooling due to nausea.

Dr. Susan :

Have you seen any vomiting or inappetence?

Customer:

He hasn't been sick. But he didn't eat much of his dinner.

Dr. Susan :

OK. How much does he weigh?

Customer:

He is about 35 kilos

Dr. Susan :

OK, he can get 2 tablets of antacid (20mg famotidine) to reduce stomach acid.

Dr. Susan :

You can also try a bland diet of boiled white rice and boiled chicken.

Dr. Susan :

If the drooling continues for another 24 hours, I recommend having him evaluated by your local vet.

Customer:

I'll try the rice but chicken usually upsets his stomach

Dr. Susan :

That's fine, you can also boil minced beef or lamb.

Customer:

Ok I'll try that. If he's still doing it in the morning I'll take him to the vet. Thank you for your time. You have been very helpful.

Dr. Susan :

You're welcome! Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.

Customer:

We had a similar problem last week. He bit off more of a bone than he could chew. He was sick once on Thursday but was his normal self over the weekend. Could these incidents be linked?

Dr. Susan :

I think that it's unlikely that it would begin to affect him again 4-5 days later. Bones generally soften a great deal with digestion. If a dog ingests a large amount of bone it can congeal like cement in the intestines, but I would have expected signs in 2-3 days at most.

Customer:

That is what it looked like when it came out. I think it's more likely to be the lead. Thank you for putting my mind at rest.

Dr. Susan :

You're quite welcome.

Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics