Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog has been yelping and whimpering all day since early

Customer Question

My dog has been yelping and whimpering all day since early hours.panting heavily
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are many things that can cause this reaction in Jet....The most common cause is severe arthritis or an unstable disc in his back.

Most likely Jet has suffered an injury to a disc in his back. This is very common in older labs because of their conformation. Since he does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for his pain. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Jet jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way.

The best thing you can do for now as long as Jet is eating, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc. I disagree with Ibuprofen because this can be toxic to dogs. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize.

It is best to have your vet examine him again to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.
 If you do nto see any improvement, your vet will run further diagnostics to determine the cause.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much, Gaynor, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Jet feels better soon!

Have a wonderful day!!