DrJessicaO
DrJessicaO, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of private practice with dogs, cats, exotics, pocket pets, etc
41353408

, I would like advice about my 2 year old dog's teeth.

Hello, I would like advice about my 2 year old dog's teeth. A vet told me he had retained a couple of puppy teeth (I think the canines) and that they should probably be removed. They don't seem to be causing any pain or problems that I can see at the moment. I try to keep them as clean as possible. He is a small dog and I am concerned about him going under anaesthetic unless absolutely necessary (yorkies seem especially susceptible to anaesthetic). I have read mixed advice with some opinions being to leave unless they are causing trouble. He has never had surgery so never had the opportunity to remove as a puppy. Grateful for your advice
Category: Dog
Expert:  DrJessicaO replied 2 years ago.
DrJessicaO :

Hi there!

DrJessicaO :

My name is***** and I would like to help answer your question.

DrJessicaO :

There are concerns with leaving retained teeth in the mouth....

DrJessicaO :

this can cause overcrowding of the teeth and eventual pain and discomfort....

DrJessicaO :

there is also risk that these teeth could cause a dental abscess because they are not supposed to be there.

DrJessicaO :

Most dogs do exceptionally well with anesthesia, and today's anesthesia is very safe.

DrJessicaO :

I would suggest asking your veterinarian if your little one will be monitored during the procedure- most veterinarians have equipment to monitor pulse rate, temperature, and blood pressure through the procedure

DrJessicaO :

It is also important to note that the procedure is typically quite fast, so he should not be under anesthesia for a long period of time.

DrJessicaO :

The size of the patient does not change the risks of anesthesia, provided the patient is otherwise systemically healthy. In my experience, little guys do just as well as the larger ones with routine anesthetic procedures.

DrJessicaO :

I hope this helps- please let me know if you have further questions. :)

Customer:

Thank you for your help. I understand that may be the case. I just want to weigh the risk with the 'could happen', which I understand is difficult. At what age are the teeth fully grown, would these problems surface if they were going to? Could I wait until, or if, this did ever happen, for example. Sorry I know this is an impossible question! Many thanks again.

DrJessicaO :

No problem at all! :) The adult teeth should be completely erupted by now, but it could take years to develop a problem. It's similar to a human that has a malocclusion or overcrowding dental issue- it may not be a problem in early adulthood, but could become an issue later in life. I completely understand wanting to weigh risk and benefit- this is always very important especially when we are trying to make the best decision for our beloved pets. :)

Customer:

Thank you so much, that helps a lot. I think it will probably have to be done at some point :(

DrJessicaO :

No problem- please let me know if you need anything else! :)

Customer:

Okay, many thanks again.