Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 7.5 month puppy has been unwell since vomiting last Sunday

My 7.5 month puppy has been unwell since vomiting last Sunday followed by brining up stomach mucous and subsequently loose runny dark coloured diarrhoea. Seen by 2 vets, had antiemetic, followed by antibiotic and antacid tablets. Initially lethargic and no appetite. Sunday and Monday. Introduced small portions boiled turkey with White rice intermittently during Tuesday. By Wednesday pm stool becoming less runny and yesterday Thursday perfectly solid stools 3 times. Resumed full eating proportions but given in small portions throughout the day. Today, Friday, back with lack if appetite and straining to pass loose runny dark mucous poo.
Puppy is female cross spr.spaniel, pointer and lab retriever.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did your vet do any testing like xrays, blood work, fecal analysis, etc.?
2- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
3- Is she currently on the medications? If so, what is the name?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. There was no testing.

2. Can't tell difference , they look pale pinky. Have never looked at gums so don't know what is normal.

3. On Synulux 250 mg tabs 250 (10) twice a day. (5days)

And Zantac 150 mg (quarter tablet per day -6days

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Mary, vomiting and loose stool can be caused by many different medical conditions. The straining and mucus in the stool is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon). It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and somet testing. But, common causes are: Ingestion of a foreign body, infections, intestinal parasites, etc.
In this case, the next step is to have Cassie rechecked by family veterinarian and do some testing like xrays, fecal analysis, +/-blood work as initial screening test. Any additional treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Continue on Zantac as directed by family vet. Stop the Synulox until she is re-checked by family veterinarian.
2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Supplement with a probiotic like Fortiflora; these are friendly bacterias that help with inflammation of the intestinal tract.
5- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Discuss with your vet about treating her with Metronidazole. In addition, deworming with Panacur.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can't rate the answer at the moment as I need more answers.

Where do I get fortiflora and can greek yogurt suffice?

as for the suggested diet, that's exactly what I told you I was doing since Tuesday. She has not had vomiting since the initial vomit last sunday and had the 6-8 hours abstaining from food overnight and still strained to pass the runny dark stained mucous. She is on advocate 2.5 ml every month.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
The greek yogurt is not going to work as good as fortiflora. In addition, giving dairy with diarrhea is not a good idea. You can buy Fortiflora online or in your local pet store. There are many other companies that also sell probiotics, you can check with your local pet store for availability.

Withholding the food is to help with the hyperactivity of the intestinal tract. But, the primary cause needs to treated. As mentioned above there are many possible causes. For now follow the above recommendations.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for last answer. Is there a reason to withhold the antibiotic? do you suspect that this might be causing the diarrhoea

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
I don't believe the antibiotic is the primary cause for his symptoms, but, at this point it is fair to say it is not helping either.

You're welcome.