Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

12 year old sheltie - already has a thyroid problem but that

Customer Question

12 year old sheltie - already has a thyroid problem but that is under control - lately noticed hair loss around neck, back of legs and tail in fact really balding. Skin darkening in places. Have just been told mjay have to have tests for cushings disease - what can I do???
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Katie's hair loss. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
There are many things that cause this kind of hair loss. One is hypothyroidism; has she had blood tests recently to determine that her current dose of Soloxine is just right, not too high or low?
Cushing's disease can also cause it, but usually dogs with Cushing's are drinking and urinating excessively. There is a good screening test for Cushing's done with a urine sample, called a UCCR test. If the UCCR is negative, she does not have Cushing's. If it is not normal then she might have Cushing's; blood tests would need to be done.
The incurin could cause hair loss in this pattern. You might try lowering her dose gradually, to the minimum dose needed.
You could try melatonin to try to get new hair to grow. It is available without a prescription. 3 to 6 mg once to twice daily.
Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Rebecca