Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

. My dog has a lump in her neck that seems to have move overnight.

Customer Question

Hi. My dog has a lump in her neck that seems to have move overnight. yyesterday it felt the size of a small ball but seems to have spread. She is very lethargic - did not eat yesterday but did enjoy a 2 hour walk in woods. NB The lump was there before the walk. Also to note she got attacked by another dog about 36 hours before I noticed a lump. At time of attack i was not sure there was any broken skin.
3 year old labrador
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This could be a swelling after the attack but my top worry is that this indicates an abscess (focal bacterial infection) has developed. This is something that is going to require an immediate veterinary visit today. This is not something you can easily care for at home. IT is going to require drainage and an antibiotic (by mouth or injectable) to clear this. My hope is this is an abscess and usually once drained and the antibiotic is started she will start feeling a lot better (I suspect she is lethargic because she has a fever or elevated body temperature).

Dr. Joey :

Often with dog attacks we cannot find anything. Even we, as veterinarians, have trouble finding the punctures from teeth and it requires shaving hair to find them. If there was even one tooth that punctured the skin, this would lead to infection and abscess formation.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a tough time connecting. Please review my replies above.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks, ***** ***** too late - I got to the vets before.

However fyi your diagnosis was correct

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the update. Keep me posted and let me know if you have any future questions!