Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 5yr old Border Terrier has on couple of occasions lost

Customer Question

My 5yr old Border Terrier has on couple of occasions lost use of his legs and seems to go into shock. It lasts for about 3 mins and then he makes a full recovery. Is he having a fit and what should I do about it? Are there drugs that can help ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin

Yes, a complex partial seizure should be considered. This describes focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body with an alteration in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities; also called psychomotor seizures. When such "fits" occur more than once monthly, most of us will initiate anticonvulsive therapy in the form of phenobarbital, levetiracetam, or zonisamine. Seizures arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually due to idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy.

Make sure to mark your calendar for these events and for what you're witnessing. His vet will need all the information you can garner before deciding whether or not diagnostic testing and drug therapy is appropriate. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the response.

He has had two events within the last 6 months. Should I take him to the vet now or wait and see whether he suffers another one first?

Rgds

Gary

I would continue to "watchful wait" unless his seizures became more frequent and/or severe as evidenced by loss of consciousness, flailing about, urinary or fecal incontinence, or, most importantly, lasted more than 10 minutes. Bringing an asymptomatic dog to his vet usually is uninformative. A vet visit is best done during or just after a seizure when diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests are more likely to be helpful.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.