Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

What food can i give our dog to gain weight who has Diabet

Customer Question

What food can i give our dog to gain weight who has Diabetes
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

Typically, if a diabetic patient is not returning to a healthy weight,

Dr. Drew :

it is a sign that their diabetic regulation is not adequate.

Dr. Drew :

In other words, diet is not the way to fix an underweight diabetic, generally speaking,

Dr. Drew :

instead, the dose of insulin may need to be increased,

Dr. Drew :

or if the dose has been repeatedly adjusted with no success,

Dr. Drew :

causes for Insulin Resistance need to be checked for,

Dr. Drew :

including Cushing's syndrome, infections in the body, or other processes such as cancer.

JACUSTOMER-5r2rjxlv- :

i know what is wrong with our dog, you have not given a answer to my question?

Dr. Drew :

Actually I did give an answer,

Dr. Drew :

"In other words, diet is not the way to fix an underweight diabetic"

Dr. Drew :

But thank you for giving me a Bad rating, I'm so glad I tried to help you.

Dr. Drew :

have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin

I'll follow up for Dr. Drew for you. Here are the basics when considering diet in diabetic dogs:

Adjust the dietary caloric intake to correct or prevent obesity or to add weight. Weight gain should occur as insulin corrects Nina's hyperglycemia independent of diet.

Divide the total daily caloric intake in half and offer food at the time of each insulin injection. Consumption may be immediate or intermittent throughout the 12-hour period depending on the eating habits of Nina.

For maintenance increase fiber content of the diet unless concurrent disease or adverse effects dictate otherwise. The amount of fiber depends on the fiber type: insoluble fiber should be greater than 10%, soluble fiber should be 4-8% and mixtures of solube and insoluble fiber should be greater than 8% of the diet on a dry-matter basis. Hill's Prescription Diet w/d is such a diet.

High-protein, low-carbohydrate diets are recommended. Hill's Prescription Diet w/d, Purina Canine DCO, and Royal Canin Veterinary Canine Diabetic HF 18 are three of the most commonly prescribed diabetic diets by vets.

If you would prefer to home-cook a diabetic recipe please let me know. I can post one for you.