Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

We are worried about our dog's sudden anxiety about being in

Customer Question

We are worried about our dog's sudden anxiety about being in our lounge, a room she has always been happy and relaxed in. She is continually sniffing the air and can't seem to relax, except in her bed in the kitchen. We are currently using an anxiety diffuser. She is a small ***** ***** cross Yorkshire Terrier and a very friendly little dog. She no longer wants to play with her toys but still runs around as usual when out on her walks. It concerns us because nothing in the house or lifestyle has changed. Please can you help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Tilly's condition.

This is a common trait in some dogs. They develop fears that cause extreme anxiety similar to those anxieties of humans. The only way to get her over this is "Desensitization" which means constant exposure until Tilly realizes that these fears will not hurt her. To do this, first avoid these while making her comfortable in her situation. You may need help in doing this since when you try, as you have experienced, she is too afraid to understand. Purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety. This may be the diffuser that you are speaking about.
Thundershirts are useful since this is one of the most common fears causing extreme anxiety and can be very effective.
If this is not enough, your vet will have medication to help Tilly past this. Take her to your vet for an exam to be sure there is not a medical cause for this and ask about anti anxiety medication such as Fluoxetine or Buspirone. Then expose her to the things she fears over and over, constantly talking in a soft voice and giving treats when he does something positive. Here is a site with more tips:http://www.petplace.com/dogs/fear-of-thunder-sounds-or-noises/page1.aspx.....You will have to click CLOSE WINDOWS to get into this site.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much,Cheryl, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope poor little Tilly improves.

Have a wonderful day!!