Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

Dear *****Jag is going to be castrated tomorrow. The vet

Customer Question

Dear *****
Jag is going to be castrated tomorrow. The vet plans to use a combination of Ketamine and Xylazine. He says there is no need for reversal. He will give non narcotic analgesic and anti- inflammatory as well as par enteral antibiotic.
What is your opinion?
Thanks as ever for your advice.
Best regards.
Kishu
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dogs replied 2 years ago.
Vet : Hi there, vet Andrew here. What breed is Jag?
Customer: Jag is a GSD.
Customer: He was being looked after Dr. Susan.
Customer: Sorry, missed out 'by' and didn't mean anything negative, when I mentioned Dr. Susan
Customer: Jag has Demodectic mange and has improved dramatically after being on Ivermectin daily
Customer: I really didn't receive any further communication from you. Please check your response. Besides I have been communicating with Dr. Susan, and my question was addressed to her. I really don't know why my question was sent to you! I am in a bit of a dilemma! I would rather stay with one doctor. No other motive for this except continuity.
Customer: I don't know what I am meant to rate you for as I didn't receive any advice from you. All you asked was 'what breed is Jag?'
Vet : My apologies. I guessed from your response that you wanted Dr Susan to deal with you so I clicked the 'Opt-out' button, but it doesn't seem to have worked. I will try again, and your question should be re-posted. Hopefully then Dr Susan can take over. I wish you and Jag all the best.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you! I would prefer to wait and be reconnected wth Dr. Susan. There was an issue with my card, which I 'share' with my son based in Lindon. Locally issued cards often have problems if used online as there are Government restrictions regarding spending foreign currency online.
I am waiting for my son's card to be reissued so that I can use it. Until then I am afraid I can't make any payments.
Thanks!
Kishwar
(Jag's Mum)
Hello Kishwar,
Thank you for getting back to me.
I will try to get in contact with Dr Susan, and hopefully she will be able to assist you again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Susa n
Jas was neutered on 4 days ago on 8th April. He is doing fine and so far, has had no stress related reaction. His appetite has increased and his hair is coming back nicely. Jag hasn't any new lesions so he is no loner smelly!
I don't know how to thank you for saving him. At home everyone was convinced he would die. He will have his scraping done in a week's time.
Best of wishes and thanks again!
Kishu
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Fantastic! I was so nervous that his demodex would flare up again after surgery. You are so very welcome. He is definitely a great success story :)
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Attention: Dr. Susan
Dear *****
As you are aware, Jag is on oral Ivermectin daily for demodectic mange. He has fleas. Can we spray him with tick and flea spray? It contains dimethicone.
Thanks!
Kishwar
Sent from my iPad
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Hi! There is a good chance that you can use the spray along with the ivermectin. Dimethecone would not be the active ingredient against the fleas though - perhaps something like fipronil?
I would use a topspot product like Frontline Plus or K9 Advantix if these are available. Apply once monthly for at least 4 consecutive months to get rid of any fleas on him or in the environment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, Susan! Jag has been on treatment with Ivermectin for mange since mid- Feb. A few mites still showed up on skin scraping. How long on average does it take to be cured? He is doing well.
Thanks, Susan!
Best
Kishwar