Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Our dog 7yr old cavalier has suddenly started crying out loudly

Our dog 7yr old cavalier has suddenly started crying out loudly in pain we think its his back or back leg what would cause this he has no injuries
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Freddie is in such pain; I know this must be quite distressing for you both.

When it comes to acute pain in dogs to the point where they are vocalizing, then there could be a few possible explanations.

1. A spinal cord injury such that there's compression of the cord by a disc or a mass. In most cases, there won't have been a trauma which can be suspected to have caused this problem; most spinal issues occur suddenly in dogs like they do in humans.

2. There's a condition called Discospondylitis which is basically an infection which targets the vertebrae. Many of these dogs are painful when you press on their spines but not all of them are. Some will also run fevers.

3. I've seen some dogs with significant arthritis pain vocalize but most dogs tolerate their discomfort in silence.

4. Tick diseases can be quite painful for some dogs and might be something to consider if you have these parasites where you live.

5. Abdominal pain can sometimes be confused with spinal or back leg pain. Pancreatitis, for example, can be quite uncomfortable as can torsions of the intestines or spleen. Such conditions are usually considered emergencies.

If #5 above is not likely and if he's not currently taking any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication and isn't vomiting, then you might consider giving him Aspirin at a dose of 10 mg/lb twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset.
My hesitation about its use, however, would be that it might interfere with what your vet would want to prescribe if he needs to be seen although one or two doses should be fine. This is especially true if he has a problem with his spine or abdomen.

I hope this helps and that he doesn't have anything too seriously wrong with him. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Mandy:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

I hope you'll keep me posted about Freddie; I've very much like to know how he makes out.
Even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate about him at no additional charge to you.

Best of luck with him. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.