Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I think my 13 year old Westie, Bentley may have WLD. He is

Customer Question

I think my 13 year old Westie, Bentley may have WLD. He is not on any meds, but his coughing is increasing and the vet says his heart sounds good. He is recommending steroids. I want to start him on enzymes and probiotics after reading all the blogs about WLD...thoughts?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bentley. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
I apologize, but I am simply terrible with abbreviations! What is WLD? I googled it and looked it on on Veterinary Information Network, and can't find it!
I see your vet has listened to his heart. Has a chest Xray been taken?
What essential oils are you using? Not all essential oils are safe for dogs.
This is an Info Request, to help me answer your questions.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Carol,
Another expert on this service tells me you are referring to pulmonary fibrosis, and in this breed is called "Westie Lung Disease". Sorry, I just really am bad with abbreviations.
The recommended therapies for pulmonary fibrosis are to reduce inflammation (that is why your vet is recommending the prednisone), treat for possible underlying bacterial infection ( doxycycline is good; it also has anti inflammatory and immune modulating properties), and open up the breathing tubes (Lasix, theophylline).
Probiotics are a good immune support, but will not specifically help with lung disease.
You have to be careful with essential oils. Breathing them into inflamed lungs could make the inflammation worse. Tea tree oil in particular is not very safe in dogs. Applied to the skin it can cause temporary paralysis of the hind legs if too much is applied. Eucalyptus oil can be used to break up mucus, but again too much is dangerous and toxic.
Let me know what else I can answer or research for you.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating and bonus.