Ask Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP Your Own...
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Veterinarian
Experience:  DABVP, Specialist in Canine and Feline Practice, Veterinarian since 2000
14784321

chinese crested male dog,he has been licking the wooden flooring

chinese crested male dog,he has been licking the wooden flooring , the carpet and the stone floor tiles in our kitchen, could this be because his teeth need seeing to?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP replied 2 years ago.
I am Dr. Devlin and I am a Board-Certified Specialist in Canine and Feline Practice.
I am happy to help you with Shiloah. I bet he is adorable.
The licking could be a symptom of several problems. It sounds like it started suddenly yesterday. Has he done this before?
Also, are there any other changes or health problems I should know about? Vomiting, appetite loss, change in water intake, weight loss, odor from his mouth, etc?
Please provide as much detail as possible. I'll be standing by to help you and your special boy!
Dr. Laura
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is the first time he has done this.the only other thing is,his breath smells,very fishy type of smell.We have tried a liquid poured into his water to get rid of the smell but it doesnt seem to be taking any effect..otherwise he seems to be in good health.

Hmmm - I am definitely concerned as well.
Is it possible to take him in to have him evaluated by your veterinarian? Yes, I think that the thought about his teeth and gums needing attention could be a possibility.
Another possibility is early Pica, a condition where pets start eating things they shouldn't such as dirt and rocks. We sometimes see licking carpet and walls as this starts. Diet could be playing a roll. Also, we see this occur with conditions such as intestinal parasites (worms), tumors ( I don't want to alarm you), GI issues, anemia, or conditions where the hemoglobin could be low.
Also, we can smell abnormal odors on the breath with a number of conditions such as kidney and liver disease, diabetes, and other problems.
I hope that it will be an easy fix, and that nothing else majorly wrong will be found. It may be that he needs antibiotics and an extraction. However, you may want to collect a urine sample (with a ladle or dipper if you can and then transfer to a clean, rinsed tupperware type container) and a fresh stool sample, and make an appointment for him to be evaluated. I would request that they run a baseline complete blood count (CBC), urinalysis, fecal, and a chemistry panel.
Lastly, we can see excessive licking as an obsessive compulsive behavior, but this is generally a chronic problem.
I hope all will be well with your special baby. If possible, can you update me on how things are? I'll be standing by if you have more questions or if I can assist you further. God bless,
Dr. Laura