Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

, I have a 13 year old lab/collie cross with arthritis

Hello, I have a 13 year old lab/collie cross with arthritis and increasing mobility problems following a slipped disc 4 years ago.
She is on Tramadol and Gabapentin for pain.
Yesterday we noticed an increase in her respirations, they are now over 70 per minute and very shallow. She is not distressed, but did not eat her evening meal. I will take her to my vet in the morning, but am anxious that she is comfortable and wonder if there is anything else I might do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for Amy. Her increased respiratory rate may very well be secondary to pain or discomfort but I do have a few additional questions to ask first if you don't mind: 1. What dose of Gabapentin and Tramdol is she taking?2. Is she currently also taking any non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs or steroids?3. How much does she weigh? There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Amy is on Tramadol 50mg x3 per day and

Gabapentin 300mg once in the evening

She is on metacam 30kg 1.5mg/ml once per day

She weighs around 30kilos.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information. Since she's also currently taking Metacam, there won't be any additional over the counter medications which you'll want to give her; this would constitute double dosing and could be harmful. However, there's quite a dosage range with both Tramadol and Gabapentin.For example, the dose of Tramadol for a 30 kgs dog ranges from 25 mg to up to 120 mg 4-6 times a day so you could give her 1.5 -2 tablets at her next dose.The range for Gabapentin would be 150-300 mg twice a day so you could give her another dose in 12 hours. I'm not sure that I would increase both of her drugs at one time, though. I'd probably advise just increasing Tramadol if this were my patient since it's a more potent anti-pain drug. I hope this helps and that she's feeling better soon. Deb
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for you advice.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
You're more than welcome. Best of luck with her. Regards, Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to thank you for the rating; it's greatly appreciated. Regards, ***** ***** ignore the information request.