Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have a 8 year old English Setter and have been to my vets

Customer Question

I have a 8 year old English Setter and have been to my vets 3 times with an ear problem which does not seem to be getting any better. He originally had hard black wax in his ears and kept shaking his head, he was given an injection of antibiotics and given Surolan to be administered. This made his ears sound very squelchy as is he had water in them. This was in November 2014. In January 2015 I went back to the vets and he was checked for ear mites. As he did not have them I was told to clean his ears out with cotton wool and administer Aurizon. I have done this but his ear (right one) is still giving him problems. The reason that I am contacting you is that I am now at my wits end as I spent over £150 on medication for him which has no effect on him. Money is now very tight as my husband is a kidney patient and can only work part time. Is there anything I can use or buy over the Internet that will help him. Many thanks. Jan
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about Oliver hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I can understand your frustration with the problem with Oliver's ears; ear infections can often be a challenge especially if they're related to either inhalent/pollen allergies since they tend to recur.
Dogs can also develop allergies to the food they've been eating for a while which can cause chronic issues with their ears as strange as that may sound.

If presented with a case like this, I typically recommend daily gentle cleaning with a good over the counter product which can be purchased at many pet/grain stores or online.
Then, use of a product such as Zymox (http://www.entirelypets.com/zymox.html) twice a day or as the label directs for 7-10 days or a little longer if necessary. If the ears look worse, then the patient may be having a drug reaction and the product should be discontinued.

If a food allergy is suspected, then I suggest that owners take the label of their current food to the pet or grain store or wherever you purchase food and select something that's entirely different in terms of protein and carbohydrates. Grain-free works well for some dogs but by no means all of them.

The following link may also be useful in understanding ear infections: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=632

I hope this helps although again, my profuse apologies for the delayed reply. Deb