Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

my jackawawa is pregnant to my chihuahua, this is their

Customer Question

Hi my jackawawa is pregnant to my chihuahua, this is their second litter together and the first litter came on day 67 from the first tie..they mated alot. This time they tied for 13 concecutive days and i have been counting the days from the first tie, which would be 67 days today; please can you tell me if i am right in doing this and when should i be getting concerned if she doesnt have them?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about your little dog. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Pregnancy in dog is 58 to 71 days, so the 67 days before was about average. The problem is, you don't know which of those 13 days is when she got pregnant. If she didn't "take" until the 5th or 6th mating, she would only be 62 days now.
So I would not be worried just yet.
You might have an Xray or ultrasound done to see how many puppies she has and how big they are.
I think you just have to wait and let Nature take its course. If she is not in distress, or nesting, and is eating and drinking well, she is just not ready yet.
If she starts to act uncomfortable, stops eating, and/or starts pushing and nothing is happening, that is when it is time to take her to the vet.
Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That has really put my mind at rest thankyou! yes poppy is eating and drinking and is happy, would you say she is okay to carry on over the weekend as she is and if they still haven't arrived by monday i will take her to the vets then?

Michelle.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that sounds like a good plan.
Let me know how she is doing. Kindly consider rating my answer, when all your questions have been answered. I hope she has her pups soon, and all goes well for her.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
How is your Jackawawa doing?
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi she had three gorgeous puppies on Saturday evening! Two boys and a girl and all is well. Thank you for your help.

Michelle

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Congratulations! Glad it all went well. Thank you for the update.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
And thank you for the great rating!