Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Dear Sirs, I have recently taken in a German Shepard with

Customer Question

Dear Sirs,
I have recently taken in a German Shepard with a problem with it's tail. The tail has been x-rayed and I was wondering if you could advise me on whether you feel that the tail needs to be operated on?
Kind regards,
Patrick
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog's tail. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
What is the problem with the tail? What was seen on the Xrays?
What is the operation they are recommending for the tail?
This is an Info Request to help me answer your quesiton.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Patrick,
I am sorry, I hit the wrong button! I did not mean to send that as an answer, since I did not answer you! I need more information about the tail to answer your question.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have emailed over some photos of the x-rays and file and I was wondering if you have been able to check them?

Kind regards,

Patrick

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Patrick,
I am so sorry, but I do not see the Xrays or the files. Can you try posting them again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rebecca,

I have sent you a photo of Chance's X-ray and his report. He was involved in an accident and is now having problems walking. He was taken in by my girlfriend Reema and she would like to know your opinion on what would be the best course of action for her German Shepard?

Kind regards,

Patrick

Chance report

Chance x ray 2Chance photo 2

Chance x-rayPhoto of Chance

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Patrick,
Thank you for sending the information. That is a terrible fracture of his tail and probably won't heal on its own.
Can he walk at all? Does he have control of his bladder and bowels? I would be concerned there is nerve damage in his lower spine, with an injury like that.
If this were my dog, I would do a good neurologic exam to evaluate how much nerve damage there is, and possibly consult a neurologist. If his nerve function is good, I might consider amputating his tail. He probably does not have any feeling in the tail, and it is unlikely he will ever get feeling back. The tail is so pulled apart that the nerves must have been torn when this happened.
What are your vets recommending? Has a neurologist evaluated him?
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating and bonus. Good luck with him; let me know how he is doing.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help I will let you know how he gets on.
Kind regards,
Patrick
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Please do.