Hi Dr. Barbara
Thanks for your reply, yes her wounds have fully healed and there doesn't appear to be any tightness in her skin. Both legs are affected by this, really each one as bad as the other. On a bad day she can barely stand, on a good day she walks a short distance with wobbly legs that I can only relate to models when they walk down the cat walk.
I believe she weights approx. 12kg/26lbs
Metacam = 1.5mg/ml administered once a day in the morning given 10-15ml
Gabapentin = 100mg per pill and given 3 times a day, however vet stated it can be reduced to 2 a day.
Metacam she has been on for around 3 weeks, Gabapentin only for three days.
These two are the only medications that she is taking and the morphine patch came off probably a month ago now
I don't believe the vet has, I wasn't in the room when she was being assessed, but I will call the vet and ask tomorrow. No scans have been done either. I do however try each day to massage and stretch her legs just to keep them moving.
Apologies I think I got that wrong when looking at the syringe, she has between 1.0 and 1.5ml of metacam per day not 10-15ml.
No her front legs seem stable, if anything that is what she uses to keeps herself upright. Apart from whining every so often (she has always been a bit whiny) due to wanting someone to be with her and wanting food she is in great health, no not disorientated, you can tell sometimes she is fed up as we have a 1yr old dog who runs everywhere who she can no longer run with.
Many thanks for your feedback - sorry for not replying sooner.
Our parents are in the mindset of putting her down as they seem to believe that her issues are non treatable, however, my sister and I strongly feel that an X-ray will provide a clearer picture of what is going on: if it is purely arthritis then we know (as per your advice), there are measures in place to help alleviate the issue.
She has not lost the function to go to the toilet, although as I have said, getting her outside involves being lifted sometimes. As her tail is 'out of practice', she urinates on it and we need to clean it to avoid her turning yellow!
In your expert opinion, do you feel that we should pursue with the X-ray? Would an X-ray show the position of the spine and the slipped disc?
We really appreciate your support on this.
If you are able to get back to us as soon as possible this would be great as we really want to discuss all of the options with our parents before they make their final decision.
Thank you for your quick reply and your insight on what we could do for her.
However it was decided by my family using information from the vet and the possible suffering that she was in, that Ellie would be put to sleep, so she passed away yesterday evening 20th April 18:00 GMT.
Once again thank you for all your insight, you really helped me understand what she was possibly going through.