Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my dog has blood in his stools but I have wormed him twice

my dog has blood in his stools but I have wormed him twice now
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Does he have diarrhea?
2- Any other symptoms?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Is he on any medications?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good morning sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
Barney does not have diarrhoea.
He is a healthy eater, and has just had his 1 walk in the forest today. He is healthly and is not on no medication.
The only symptom he has is when out walking he can poo up 5/6 times.
He seems happy enough
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Frances, I am sorry for the delay in response I was offline by the time you came back. If you would like to continue can you give me on update on Barney; Is he still having bloody bowel movements?
Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes his stools are solid but do have traces of blood.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes he has solid stools but still have traces of blood. He is looking very health
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Frances, when we see blood in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon). There are many possible causes. If he was dewormed then unlikely to be caused by parasites. Other possible causes are: Infections, a foreign body, auto immune (IBS), tumors or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes.
I would phone your vet and request a medication called Metronidazole (flagyl); this medication besides being an antibiotic it help with inflammation. In the meantime this is what you can try:
1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- Change his diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.
4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination, blood work and xrays as initial screening test.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter