Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

my dog is a jack russel he is 7 yearsold but has always

Customer Question

hi my dog is a jack russel he is 7 yearsold but has always been very bouncesy.
but last few days off his food and panting quitea bit. his tummy looks very bloted and he seems to be not wanting to go very far .can you help please.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.
I am so sorry to hear Sky has a swollen abdomen and is lethargic
There are a multitude of causes of these symptoms that can range from heart, liver, or gi disease to parasites such as roundworm infection.
Often dogs are panting in these situations because the increase fluid or swelling of the abdomen forces the diaphragm forward which reduces the ability of the lungs to expand normally so dogs have to breath in short more rapid breaths in order to meet their oxygen needs.
I strongly urge you to have Sky evaluated by your vet as soon as you are able because each different diagnosis is going to have a completely different treatment option. For example, heart disease will be treated with medications to help the heart function while a gi issue like a protein losing enteropathy might require steroids or dietary changes.
Your veterinarian will start with an examination and also include bloodwork to look at organ function. He/ she may elect to aspirate the abdomen with a needle to withdraw fluid and determine whether the fluid is infectious, protein in origin, or even cancerous. If there is a large amount of fluid in the abdomen which is what I am most concerned about your vet might remove a large portion of fluid in order to help Sky breath more comfortably until a diagnosis is made.
I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both. Unfortunately there are no home remedies for this scenario. A diagnosis of underlying cause is required in order to begin appropriate therapy for Sky to get him more comfortable as soon as possible.
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you i will be on way to vets . in the morning.

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Perfect, please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you both. Best wishes for a speedy recovery