DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My cocker spaniel has just eaten half an easter egg! The bigger

My cocker spaniel has just eaten half an easter egg! The bigger kind. Is this too much choc for her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
Hi there Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help.What do you mean by bigger kind? How many ounces of chocolate is it? Was it solid chocolate? What kind- milk chocolate or dark chocolate? How much does your dog weigh? I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She weighs 10.5kg

it was milk choc

According to info on box she has had about 200g

Sorry not 200g, I canny count!! She has had approx 100g

Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Based on her weight and the grams milk chololate consumed. I feel she should be fine. You may see some vomiting or diarrhea in the next 24-48 hours but she did not consume enough to be deadly toxic. Milk chocolate has a lot more leeway than dark or baking chocolate. If she shows signs of respiratory distress, excessive vomiting, or seizures, then get her to an emergency vet immediately (This is unlikely but I need to make sure you know what to watch for). Let me know if you have any other questions. Best of luck.