Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my dog is a 9 year old pom he is on matacam what

Customer Question

my dog is a 9 year old pom he is on matacam for arthritis what else can i get for him which is just has good without a script
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your fellow suffers from arthritis and I understand that you are looking for effective pain relief that doesn't require a prescription.
The truth is that there aren't any equivalent over the counter drugs to Metacam (meloxicam). All of the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that are effective and safe for dogs are prescription.
However there are nutraceuticals that aren't prescription that can help him, and may work well enough that he won't need to take Metacam or at least reduce the dose that he takes.
Long term for joint pain I recommend using a combination of a glucosamine/chondroitin product (examples are Dasuquin or Cosequin) and an omega 3 fatty acid (like 3V Caps or Derm Caps).
I recommend an omega 3 fatty acid dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give him 40 mg of EPA per kilogram of body weight per day. For example an 8 kilogram dog could take 320mg of EPA per day. Omega 3's and glucosamine/chondroitins work synergistically and improve cartilage health and joint fluid quality and quantity as well as reducing inflammation. They can take several weeks to see full improvement but some dogs do very well with them alone. They are available over the counter.
Another option is a product called Duralactin. This is an anti-inflammatory product derived from milk proteins and it also has omega 3 fatty acids incorporated into it which can be very helpful. See this link for further information: http://www.duralactin.com/products_canine.htm
Other options are cold laser therapy or acupuncture to control his pain.
If that's not enough he will need to see his veterinarian for prescription drugs that are more potent. Veterinary drugs we can add include a nonsteroidal like Metacam, Deramaxx, Previcox or Rimadyl. If those aren't enough we can add another drug in the opiod family called Tramadol and/or another drug called Gabapentin.
Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.