Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Been passing water , doesnt seem to be drinking e

Been passing water for hours, doesnt seem to be drinking excessively,
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,
This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.
My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :
1. Please tell me a little more about your dog, age? Breed? Male or female?
2. This just started today?
You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }
Regards,
Dr Scott
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She is a bitch, 11 yrs old and has a problem with her liver, which is not being treated as medication does make any difference to her. She is on tramadol in small doses as she has a leg which she can not use (hind and the other is getting bad with arthritis. We have just started to train her to use a wheelchair. Also we have been try to change her over to dry food over the last 3 or 4 days.

It happened today starting at 3.30 this am, and she was out almost consistently until about 8.30, she hasnt been out since, but is very lethargic.

Hello again and thanks for waiting.
I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think.
1. If she is not drinking excessively then hopefully this is something fairly minor such as a urinary tract infection, if this is the case then prescription drugs such as antibiotics will be required, but if course other diagnosis are possible.
2. Unfortunately with these sorts of symptoms there is little you can hope to do on a home remedy basis, all you can do is to keep your dog comfortable and reassured and get her to a vet at the first possible opportunity.
I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.
Regards,
Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.