Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

WE GOT A NEW PUPPY ON SUNDAY SHE HAD DIAORREA ON TUESDAY

HI WE GOT A NEW PUPPY ON SUNDAY SHE HAD DIAORREA ON TUESDAY WE CAME HOME SHE HAD BLACK POO COMING OUT OF HER BOTTOM AND RED VEIN MARKS ALL OVER HER STOMACH SHE WAS DEAD WE ARE HEART BROKEN SHE WAS A PUG WHAT COULD HAVE KILLED HER SHE WAS EATING BUT SEEMED A BIT THIN
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am so sorry to learn your puppy died unexpectedly. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Any vomiting?
2- Was she lethargic?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi dr peter no vomiting wasn't as lively as my other pug took lots of naps was a bit nervy my other pug is 12 weeks old and is fit and healthy

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi dr peter no vomiting wasn't as lively as my other pug took lots of naps was a bit nervy my other pug is 12 weeks old and fit and healthy

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Tracie, when we see black feces it is due to the presence of blood in the feces. The reason why the blood is black and not red is because it has been digested. Basically, this indicates that she was bleeding in her upper gastrointestinal tract. Possible causes are: Ingestion of a foreign body, poisons, infections, etc.
To determine the exact cause of death you can speak to your vet about performing a necropsy (autopsy in humans). In a puppy with this history I would place ingestion of a foreign body or toxicity (poison) high on the list of possible causes.
I am really sorry this happen with your puppy. I will have you in my thoughts and prayers tonight. Please let me know if you have additional questions.
Dr. Peter