Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My puppy pug regularly vomited half hour and now shivering-think

Customer Question

My puppy pug regularly vomited for last half hour and now shivering-think she ate daffodil(s). Should I take her to an out of hours vet please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin

Daffodil toxicity is usually mild to moderate causing vomiting, salvation, and diarrhea; large ingestions cause convulsions, low blood pressure, tremors and cardiac arrhythmias. Bulbs are the most poisonous part. If your puppy has vomited so profusely, however, dehydration and electrolyte imbalance is likely to have developed and such a small dog should be attended to at your earliest convenience. I would expect an injectable antiemetic and antacid to be administered and subcutaneous fluids administered as an outpatient.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks-just to confirm then given she is 3 month old pug you would recommend I take her to a vet ASAP?
Please tell me how long it's been since she could have ingested daffodil, the likelihood that daffodil was responsible, and how she's currently acting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Approx 1hour lying in her bed now and a bit "shivery" (ie doesn't seem to be shivering as much as earlier) - v likely it was daffodil as she was in garden unattended and I found chewed up daffodil! thank you
Ah! Thank you. If vomiting stops for an hour, you can replace her fluid and electrolyte deficit with an infant fluid replacer such as Pedialyte (or generics) available at your druggist. She would benefit from ~3 ounces given orally. If she continues to shiver (tremors) or vomit, however, you'll have little choice but to have her treated parenterally - by needle.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you tomorrow for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update, please?