Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

Would it be better in the long term to have my dogs eye removed

would it be better in the long term to have my dogs eye removed as he has cateracts in both eyes and glaucoma in one which is being treated with eye drops.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.
This is a tough question and I will do my best to answer succinctly to each question.
With cataracts the eyes are not painful so removing them really would not be warranted unless the glaucoma becomes more of an issue for Charlie.
With glaucoma the reason to remove the eye is if the pressures are not able to be maintained at a healthy level with the eye drops and/ or Charlie seems to be uncomfortable with the eyes which can include rubbing, scratching, lethargy, panting. Typically if we can keep the globe and save the eye it is advised because the surgery can be a new source of pain that unless absolutely necessary I would prefer to avoid.
I am a minimalist when it comes to surgery because it can be painful and if he is comfortable with the level of cataracts and glaucoma is well controlled I would continue to monitor and put off surgery as long as possible.
Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today.
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how long would you recommend Charlie uses the drops for before making a decision about his eye as the pressures in his eye have not dropped much. he is on his 2nd week of eye drops.

If the pressures are not dropping and are still high despite the drops then unfortunately enucleation should be considered... I am so sorry you both are in this predicament...