Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My dog is drinking a lot of water and is loosing weight and

Customer Question

My dog is drinking a lot of water and is loosing weight and very lathergic
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry you are worried about Ben. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
My first concern with a dog that is losing weight and drinking a lot of water is that he may be diabetic. That should be checked out, because diabetes can cause many complications, including blindness from cataracts, if not diagnosed and treated promptly.
He could also have kidney disease, a hormone imbalance, or kidney infection. Cancer is unfortunately another possibility.
You could start by taking a sample of his urine to your vet for a urinalysis. If he is diabetic, there will be sugar in his urine. The urine test will also tell if there is reason to suspect kidney disease, if he has a kidney infection, if he is losing protein into the urine. If the urine test is abnormal, your vet will need to do blood tests next.
Being lethargic, drinking a lot, and losing weight is very concerning. I would have him and/or a urinalysis test done as soon as you can.
Let me know what else I can answer.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Christine,
How is your dog doing?
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Rebecca thanks for your advice, I am afraid my dog Benny was really ill, we took him to the vets and we had to have him put down, the vet said he had diabetes and his organs shut down, she said he was such a stoic dog he showed no ordinary signs of it, very heartbraking it is as well
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am so sorry to hear about Benny. Thank you for letting me know. My sincere condolences.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou Rebecca for your help, and your condolences It is good that we can all get help from the internet, once again thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome.
Rebecca