Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My dog staffy 4 yrs old was admitted 3 weeks ago to emergency

my dog staffy 4 yrs old was admitted 3 weeks ago to emergency vet he could not wee and his bladder was completely full after scans and x rays they found he had stone in his penis which was blocking him weeing they disslodged the stone and he been fine he his eating and drinking and weeing well but we have noticed quite an amount of blood in his urine today
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
The blood can be an indication of infection or additional stones. We need to have his urine tested for infection, and it would be best to have another x-ray taken to look for additional stones.
I recommend having him seen by your local vet as soon as possible. This isn't as serious an emergency as when he was obstructed, but he is probably quite uncomfortable. It would be nice to have him seen today, if not he should be OK until Monday. If you do note that he may be blocked again, that would warrant an emergency visit.
In the meantime, encourage him to drink as much as possible using dilute chicken broth or dilute water from a tuna can.
Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks very much for you help

Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
You're very welcome!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the vet indicated he had a few more stones and to keep close eye on him hes fine in himself but concerened about blood so he b ok till monday when we can get him to our own vet

Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Yes, as long as we do not see any indication of obstruction. Watch him when he attempts to urinate. If the stream is weak or broken, he should be seen at the ER.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you very much