Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog had a runny pooh days then got better for. 2 days

Customer Question

My dog had a runny pooh for 2 days then got better for. 2 days and has had a very runny mucous pooh this morning. has had water but not eating and is not a great eater. 13 months old King Charles Cavalier
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that your sweet Billy has a mild digestive disturbance common in the youg dogs that will ingest just about anything or are prone to stress induced diarrhea. The treatment for this is as follows:

Fast Billy for 12-24 hrs which he may be doing himself to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give Billy Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If he is feeling better and the diarrhea has calmed down, wean him back onto his regular diet. If the diarrhea persists, have your vet run a fecal exam and smear to determine if this may be due to a parasite or protozoa that will require a different treatment.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what if theBilly becomes dehydrated

This can cause dehydration if left for a long time. It is good to give him Pediuye a few ounces every few hours to be sure.