Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 8 month old female Rottweiler, her dewclaws were removed

I have a 8 month old female Rottweiler, her dewclaws were removed before we got her all he litter had this procedure. Over the past few days she is chewing both back legs where the claws were, she has broken the skin by chewing keeping the areas clean with salt water, it has been very hot the past few weeks and she hasn't enjoyed being out at the hottest part of the day, we are going to treat her today for fleas and mites (frontline poppets) was going to see if after 24 hours it gives her any relief, and take her to the vets if she's still chewing. Just looking for advice please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Is she chewing/scratching in other places in the body?
2- Are you seeing any swelling in this area?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr Peter, no swelling in the area that is visable to me, she is scratching other areas sort of towards her back end where she can't reach, but not often enough to concern me that she's constantly scratching. Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Cath, when dealing with sores in the skin created by gnawing/licking/chewing one of the most important aspect in treating is stopping the dog from licking/chewing. This is what you can try:
1- Need to stop her from licking/chewing or she is going to delay healing and promote an infection. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area.
2- Do not use salt water in the sores. Instead, pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.
3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.
4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 1-2 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter