Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Dear Doctor I have an english bullterrier, he was all happy

Customer Question

Dear Doctor
I have an english bullterrier, he was all happy when we got home yesterday from work. We have a garden he was out for a while and later he was following me, sitting next to me with not the same energy as he has always. When I spoke to him and otherwise his back legs were shaking, he was hiding rather under the table, not as he is usually! I took him for a walk and was not pulling on the lead as usually, walking slow. When I got a ball out he got excited but after went separate, sitting alone in the bathroom. His tail not fully but pulled in. He was sleeping later but shaking from time to time. His nose was vet and for touch no temperature.
This morning kind of same, we took him to the park and not running away as normal, staying close. Did not call us to play, not taking the ball. Shaking sometimes and also in the morning I heard his tummy was giving out loud noises. He did not poo yesterday or today morning.
I am worried but not sure if this kind of sickness or just a stomach ache? Please kindly advise.
Krisztina
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bully. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
It does sound like he is hurting somewhere. Shaking, and moving slowly are signs that something somehow is painful.
It could be back or neck pain; slipped discs and inflamed discs can happen all of a sudden, without any injury or fall. It could also be internal, like a stomach ache.
I would take his temperature with a rectal thermometer, that is the only way to be sure he does not have a fever.
Is he eating and drinking? Any vomiting at all?
The best thing would to have him checked by his veterinarian, and get some pain medication that is made for and safe for dogs. Many over the counter pain relievers for people are not safe for dog, like Advil/ibuprofen. You could try aspirin, if he is eating; it should not be given on an empty stomach. How much does he weigh? The dose is one low dose (81 mg) aspirin per 15 to 20 pounds, once to twice daily, with food. If he vomits, do not give aspirin.
Let me know if I can help with anything else, and let me know how he is doing.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear *****

Thank you so much for your answer. I will see how he will eat tonight and I also will check his temperature.

He is around 27 kg.

He did not eat last night however what we gave him is the Pedigree can which he lately not love as much as before, only if we mix it with pasta or rice. He asked for food this morning and eat some. He also have moments when looks happy, waving his tail but generally he is not the same.

He has not vomited. Only his stomach was very loudly noisy this morning.

If he will have temperature, what is your suggestion? If not, I`ll give him aspirin tonight (and even if he`ll have temperature).

Can I email you again tonight?

Thanks so much, have a lovely day.

Krisztina

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Krisztina,
If he is 27 kg, he could take 2 to 3 baby aspirin, with food, once to twice daily.
Good that he ate today, and has not vomited.
If he has a fever, the aspirin may help. However, a fever could be a sign of infection, and that he may need antibiotics, or anti inflammatory medication meant just for dogs.
Kindly consider rating my answer when your questions are answered. You certainly can email me here again, even if you have rated my answer. The time difference (it is 7:30 AM here) may make a delay when I answer you.
Let me know how he is doing.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
How is Bully today?
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rebecca

I am sorry for the delay in replying to you. Thanks God he is well. He seems like nothing happened to him ;) I am so happy.

He was playful yesterday evening and ate well, drank water too. He did not shake any longer. He was also pulling on the lead! I do not like that but I was happy about that this time ;) This morning he was again well. So finally i did not give him aspirin. Did I do it right? Do you think it was only a stomach ache? I really hope he is fine again, do you think I should better keep an eye on him, can this come back?

Thanks Rebecca, your help meant a lot.

Have a nice evening.

Krisztina

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.
Glad to hear he is better. I had a Bull terrier, and when he was about 4 or 5 he started having episodes of not wanting to walk, acting painful. They would come and go for about a year, never figured out what it was but he did respond to non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (aspirin is one of these).
If he is better you did right not to give him anything. I hope it was just a stomach ache and that he never has this again!
Since we don't know for sure what it was, it could come back but I hope it does not.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Krisztina,
How is Bully?

Rebecca