DrJessicaO
DrJessicaO, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of private practice with dogs, cats, exotics, pocket pets, etc
41353408

My dog has had diarrhoea and was fine in herself but has become

my dog has had diarrhoea and was fine in herself but has become tired.
Category: Dog
Expert:  DrJessicaO replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Do you notice any blood in the diarrhea? Is she having any vomiting? About how much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She weighs about 12.5 kgs. She had the odd bit in a couple of days ago, but our vet said that would be normal and it was just that one stool. She had improved and it went more or less normal except was yellow for one day but has now gone back to cow ***** *****ke and appears tired. No vomiting but is wanting to eat grass as if she wants to make herself sick.

Expert:  DrJessicaO replied 1 year ago.
Ok, there are many reasons that diarrhea can occur including gastro-intestinal parasites (that they can get from the soil outside), dietary indiscretion, neoplasia (cancer), and bacterial infection. What we can attempt is to treat her symptomatically, but if this does not improve (and stay improved) within a week or so, I would suggest having a fecal sample and possible abdominal xrays evaluated. Likewise if you note blood in the stools or if the stools become dary or tarry, she should be seen.
You can attempt to start her on loperamide (Imodium)- her dose is 2 mg by mouth every 12 hours. This can be repeated up to 3 days. Continue to feed her a bland diet- I suggest boiled chicken and white rice. Use 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt twice daily as a probiotic (to promote "good" intestinal bacteria). Ensure she stays hydrated (her gums should be pink and moist) by giving her small amounts of water throughout the day (or ice cubes). If you can check a temperature, it should be less than 103 F (if it is greater than this, she has a fever and should be seen).
I hope this information helps- please let me know if you have any additional questions!
-Dr. Jessica
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean by dary or tarry? Where do I get the imodium from and can I use human yogart or is there special dog yogart?

Expert:  DrJessicaO replied 1 year ago.
Nope you don't need special yogurt- just the store brand vanilla is fine. Imodium is over the counter- you can get it in a grocery store of pharmacy in the "stomach upset" aisle- you can use the generic loperamide, as it is much cheaper. Just make sure it is 2 mg (or if you get 4 mg, cut it in half). Dark and tarry means if it is black in color and sticky like tar- this is a sign of digested blood and can be a sign there is something more serious going on. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just finally, can I get a human temperature checker or do I need a dog one?

Expert:  DrJessicaO replied 1 year ago.
Yes- you can use a human thermometer- the most common way is using a digital thermometer and obtaining a rectal temp. Place some Vaseline on the end first. Alternatively you can use a human ear thermometer but they aren't as accurate and tend to be more expensive.
DrJessicaO, Veterinarian
Experience: 7 years of private practice with dogs, cats, exotics, pocket pets, etc