Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

Rebecca, Many thanks help regarding offering

Hi Rebecca,
Many thanks for your help regarding offering your advice on my girlfriends dog Chance the German Shepherd. You would be pleased to know he is now doing better now.
Unfortunately my girlfriend Reema has another German Shepherd that is in poor condition and I was therefore wondering if you could offer me some advice again.
He is a puppy and has been in some really bad accidents. Firstly he had been shoot at but is ok. He has also been involved in a really bad car accident. I have some of his x-rays and I was wondering if you could provide me with some advice?
Kind regards,
Patrick
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
I would be happy to look at the x-rays. You can post them here or send them to***@******.*** and they will forward them to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your quick response. I would like some advise on the x-rays and what you would suggest as the best treatment for the dog.

Kind regards,

German Shepherd pic

German Shepherd x ray pic 3

German Shepherd x ray pic 2

German Shepherd pic 1

Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
OK. For the left leg, I would suggest an FHO of the hip joint. This would involve removing the remaining femoral head which is still located in the acetabulum and cutting back and smoothing out the remaining femoral neck.
For the right leg, I think she will need to have the fracture surgically pinned for healing.
In general, I would expect a young dog to do well with both of these surgeries. It will be somewhat labor intensive during the healing process to help her move with two painful legs. After her recovery period I expect her to be able to resume normal puppy activity.
Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your advise. You have provided me with all the information I need.

Kind regards,

Patrick