Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My faithful dog of 12yrs died i've fretted deeply i decided

My faithful dog of 12yrs died i've fretted deeply i decided to give a honeless dog ahome as i've plenty of love and attention to give,i brought home a x terrier whose so lovely but after 2days has thi kennel cough it's pitiful what she's going through my vet gave me cough syrup ,how ever it's not giving much results ,she's very stressed what else can i do for her ,i keep reassuring her but it's awful .idon't know if being classed as a stray relating to injections can you help her please thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.
I am so sorry to hear of your loss, losing a beloved friend of so many years can be devastating
For your new friend I can give a few suggestions but if the cough is not subsiding I would advise returning to the veterinarian for more aggressive therapy
1.) Steam of the shower will help soothe the lungs, bronchi, trachea and reduce coughing. You can do this frequently and if you have a humidifier or nebulizer even better!
2.) Try a small amount of honey which also can soothe and reduce the cough
3.) Mix the cough medication in with canned dog food or some chicken and rice which will entice the appetite and limit the need for you to have to directly administer the medication. Wait until meal time and delay giving her the normal food until she has had a tablespoon (or more if it is strong smelling) of the enticing food with the cough medication
4.) Monitor her respiratory rate, which is how many breaths she takes in one minute. If >60 then a return to the vet is warranted. In addition, if her gums are pale, blue or sticky, her rectal temperature is >103.5 F (39.72 C)
I hope this information is helpful but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. Her being a stray should increase her immune response because she is more exposed to various conditions that a normal dog would not be so the hope is that she will nip this in the bud quicker than an average dog would.
I hope you have many happy years together, truly
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!