Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has a sore ear would it be ok to use teardrop

My dog has a sore ear would it be ok to use teardrop for him
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is the sore inside the ear canal; where exactly is the sore?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is he scratching it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it's sore in side the ear canal and I've been bathing his ear .Because he has had dry blood in there .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes and shaking his head

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, it sounds like he may have an ear infections. Using teardrops is not going to help. He may need topical medication from your family veterinarian. In the meantime, what you can do is clean the ear out of all discharge with plain warm water and cotton. If the ear is very irritated and bloody do not use ear cleaning solution as this can be irritating. After you clean the ear out of all discharge with plain water and cotton apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. You can buy this over the counter in any chemist. Do this twice a day. A better option is to pick topical medication from family veterinarian. Finally, pick up an ecollar in your local pet store or vet's office to prevent him from scratching the ear.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if you have additional questions. It was nice talking to you.