Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My Norfolk terrier is fed dry food (weight control) only and

My Norfolk terrier is fed dry food (weight control) only and drinks plenty. She is in good health & exercises daily. However, her breath is foul! It really is bad. Any thoughts as to what we should do? Thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
How are teeth? Any tartar or calculus?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Some of her back teeth seem a bit discoloured and there is some tartar on her incisors. It is hard to brush her teeth as her mouth is small. She likes gnawing bones but it doesn't seem to help. Dentastix have made no difference.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, one of the most common causes for bad breath is the build up of tartar/calculus on the teeth. This is very likely the reason why she has bad breath. I would recommend you consider having her teeth cleaned by family veterinarian. In the meantime, this is what you can do: 1- Supplement with a probiotic (friendly bacterias) like Fortiflora, you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online; he needs to be on it for no less than 2-3 weeks before seeing significant improvement. You can keep him on it long term. 2- Rinse her mouth with C.E.T. Chlorhexidine mouthwash for dogs/cats; you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Nice talking with you. :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She has had her teeth cleaned at the vet's. Does this need to be done regularly or will the mouthwash & probiotic keep it at bay? Is the weight control food a contributory factor? She didn't used to have such awful breath, but she is on the weight control food since being spayed.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
A dental cleaning can be done periodically if the patient has tartar or calculus. Ideally, to prevent this from happening you can try brushing her teeth at least 3 times a week. The mouthwash and probiotic will Not remove the tartar from the teeth but will eliminate the bad breath. This is not related to the weight control food.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.