Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have just bought home a 9 week old zuchon. His first poo

Customer Question

I have just bought home a 9 week old zuchon. His first poo was fine but since that he has had 2 poos bothwatery and smellie. He had a worming and flee treatment before leaving the kennels. He is on the same food as he was at the kennels. What can I do to stop this
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your new pup Marley is having loose stools.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What other information do you require? He has had his first injection and his secound is due between th 6th/15th MAy

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Diarrhea can be due to stress, a change in diet, parasites, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. But it can also be related to metabolic organ disease (such kidney or liver disease) due to organ wastes irritating the gut (unlikely in a young pup like this).He has had a lot of stress and medications given recently. Those things could certainly be behind this.If he is feeling well otherwise, I am less concerned. If not he should be checked by your regular veterinarian if he's not bouncing back quickly.Well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples too as she goes to parks and parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently. They may be picked up on the second sample or third test if the first is negative. I know he's been wormed but there are other parasites, like protozoa.If he still feels well now though we can try some things at home.If his appetite is off and if stomach is gurgling he may have some stomach upset and reflux that can go along with loose stools.To try and settle his stomach today you can try either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation.I would not feed any food for 6-8 hours after the acid reducers are started. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as he needs fluids after all that he has lost with diarrhea. You can give pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make intestinal irritation worse.Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate at 1ml per pound or 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds of body weight every 6 to 8 hours. This is quite safe and will coat his irritated gi tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.If he has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea witjh no improvement after being on kao pectate for 24 to 48 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then he really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.After her food fast start a bland diet of 1/2 boiled hamburger (or white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off mixed with 1/2 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) of canned pumpkin to each meal if you are seeing mucous in her stool as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.Once she feels better (no bloody diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in her regular dog food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back. If Ruthie is vomiting and feeling poorly though it would be best that she see her regular veterinarian now as anything you give her orally will just come back up worsening her dehydration.Please let me know if you have any further questions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I give him pepto bismol as ive heard this can be good also

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry I missed your response. Pepto bismol can be used as well.Regular Pepto liquid has 525mg per 30mls or 2 tablespoons (6 teaspoons). That means each ml contains 17.5mg of salicylate. Most formularies recommend 1/2ml to 1ml of regular strength liquid per pound of body weight every 8 to 12 hours..
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
I would still recommend a bland diet for a few days too.Does that help?Do you have any further questions.