Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

We have an extremely lively springer cocker spaniel

Customer Question

Hello. We have an extremely lively springer cocker spaniel cross who is 3 years old. For over 24 hours now she has been very lethargic sleeping s lot and when she does jump up to play she looks like she thinks 'oh that was a bad idea' and goes back to her basket. She also wants lots of cuddles which is normal but rather than get over excited and turn it into a game she just stays still. This is very out if character (quite nice for us though)! The thing is she is still eating and drinking normally. Should we be worried?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Toto. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. I would be worried about this sudden change of her routine. It could be that something hurts somewhere, like her back or neck or internally. Or, she could have a fever making her lethargic. If she were mine, I would take her temperature (normal rectal temperature is between 101 and 102), and do a good exam: feel lymph nodes and pulses, palpate from her neck down along her spine trying to detect subtle areas of muscle tension, check her gums to be sure they are a normal pink color, listen to her heart and lungs. If my exam did not show anything and she is eating and not vomiting, I might try some baby aspirin to see if that helps. How much does she weigh? The dose is one baby aspirin per 15 to 20 pounds of body weight, twice daily with food. If she vomits, do not repeat it. If aspirin seems to help, then she is hurting/painful somewhere.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the good rating.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Dina,
How is Toto doing?

Rebecca