Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have another question about my 12 year old cattle

Customer Question

Hello, I have another question about my 12 year old cattle dog, Kimba. Our vet has just given her steroids and some antibacterial medicine to deal with a skin infection caused by scratching and biting--also some shampoo to help get rid of the causes of her itching. She also takes Propalin regularly. We normally give her a "Frontline" dose each month to guard against fleas, ticks and mites, and she is due for her monthly injection now. Should she have it while she is taking the steroid and antibacterial medicine?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I believe you meant to type "application" rather than "injection" of Frontline. If so, yes, it's a very important part of therapy for a dog such as Kimba in order to avoid fleas being contributory to her dermatopathy. You need only remember that it shouldn't be applied either 2 days prior or 2 days following bathing Kimba or it won't work properly. It needs the oils on Kimba's skin to be absorbed well into her skin and it's easily washed away if it hasn't been given 2 days to soak into the skin. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I have to leave my computer for a few hours but promise to reply as soon as I return if need be.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. Please disregard the info request.