Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My staffordshire terrier is slobbering on her left side

Customer Question

My staffordshire bull terrier is slobbering on her left side of her mouth, lower jaw shaking, left eye looks red and smaller than normal and there is more white in it and her left ear is constantly up
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. How long has she been like this? Can she walk normally? Could she have gotten into or eaten anything she shouldn't: medication, drugs, garbage? How old is she? Is she able to eat and drink?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She seems a little lathargic but can walk normal she has been like this for about 12 hours now and she's around 10 years old she is drinking

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Could she have eaten anything she should not eat?
It sounds like something is wrong with her nervous system. Your description of her eye could be "Horner's syndrome", a condition of the nerves to one eye and that side of the face. Many cases of Horner's go away on their own, but it can be a sign of a more serious problem.
Since there are many things this could be, I would start by taking her temperature (normal is between 101 and 102), checking her pulse and feeling her lymph nodes, seeing if her gum are a normal pink color, listening to her heart, testing her reflexes, etc. to try to figure out where the problem is.
If she has a fever, she may need antibiotics and anti inflammatory medication. She could have an infection, a problem with her brain, something in her chest putting pressure on the nerves that run there, many possibilities. Getting a diagnosis will tell us the best way to treat her, and starting with a good exam by a veterinarian would the place to start.
Until you can have her checked, I would limit her activity, take her temperature if you can, and keep her drinking to stay hydrated.
Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've just noticed that the left eye that is swollen is flickering back and forth every now and then?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
That is significant, yes. That is called nystagmus. This might be a case of "old dog vestibular syndrome", ODVS, which affects older dogs suddenly. They have an acute loss of balance, nystagmus, often a head tilt and sometimes walk in a circle.
If this is ODVS, it looks awful, but most cases get better on their own in a few days to a week.
Here is a good article about vestibular disease:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=564
If that is what she has, giving some meclizine, which is available over the counter, may help. I would give 12.5 mg once to twice daily.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She hasn't got those symptoms though?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
The nystagmus is a symptom, but you are correct this could be something else.
If this were my own dog, I would not be trying to treat at home. I would do a full exam, a chest Xray, and possibly consult with a neurology specialist.
If there is fever, I would probably give antibiotics and maybe some steroids to reduce any swelling or inflammation around the brain or the nerves.
If there is nystagmus, I would give the meclizine.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
How is your dog doing?

Rebecca