Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have recently adopted a 5 yr old ex racing greyhound, ive

i have recently adopted a 5 yr old ex racing greyhound, ive had him 6 weeks, he is very timid and nervous, he has snapped at 2 members of the family and he looked so nervous and i cant understand why he did it as they were very gentle and spoke softly to him, the rescue said he has been in solitary confinement for a long time and that it will take time which i understand, but the last 6 weeks he has been quite happy for these members of the family to stroke him etc, i am wondering if there is any medication you could recomend to help him in the transition from ex racer to pet? i dont want to give up on him i would be very grateful for your advice
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!First, congratulations on your new addition! It sounds like you are doing everything in your power to give him a chance. I would consider treating him with medications for his anxiety after a veterinary exam and bloodwork determines that he is healthy enough for a trial of the medications. I also would limit petting of anyone in the house while he is in this nervous state. Petting while nervous can actually increase anxiety in his mind if he is not in a calm and happy place. If he is calm, approaches a family member with interest and sniffing, and shows interest in your attention then giving the petting but not before because even with the best of intentions it can increase his anxiety and unfortunately result in the nips that he has taken1.) Clomicalm which is a tricyclic antidepressant medication used to in dogs with anxiety: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/clomipramine-clomicalm2.) Fluoxetine which is also an antidepressant used for aggression and obsessive compulsive behaviors but can also be used in cases of anxiety as wellhttp://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/fluoxetine-prozac-reconcileBoth are options available through your vet to discuss for your new friend and can help make this transition a safer one for all involved. I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!