Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I have a king charles cavalier her front legs are failing her

Customer Question

I have a king charles cavalier her front legs are failing her on occasions when walking is this treatable.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Cavalier spaniel. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. Whether this is treatable, and what treatment is recommended depends on what is causing her to not be able to use her front legs. How old is she? There is a neurologic condition seen in this breed, called syringomyelia, and that usually shows up when these dogs are still young. Sometimes surgery is needed in really bad cases. If she is older, this could be from arthritis, or an injury, which might be treatable. If I could, I would examine her, and try to determine where and what her problem is, to get a diagnosis. Once we know what is wrong, we know what (if any) treatment to try. Does this make sense? Can I help with or answer anything else? Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the great rating. Let me know how she is doing.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Ann,
How is your Cavalier doing?
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She is 10 years about the same. Not walking so much now thanks

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear she is worse. Have you had her checked out, to find out if this is arthritis, or a problem with her spinal cord?