Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog accidently ate some currants in bread and water yesterday

My dog accidently ate some currants in bread and water yesterday at lunch time.We thought we heard him being sick this morning but couldn't find anything. He was alright on his walk this morning and is asleep beside me now. He isn't more thirsty than normal and doesnt have halitosis. It is a bank holiday. Should I be getting a vet to see him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for Tyler. While currants can be toxic to dogs (as you know), I wouldn't expect ingestion of such a small amount to be of major concern. While a toxic dose amount hasn't been established since studies haven't been done, it typically takes ingestion of a fair amount of grapes, raisins or currants for significant issues to be seen. And, not all dogs who ingest these fruits will develop symptoms although why that's the case is poorly understood at this time. Since he's not otherwise acting terribly ill (at least he doesn't sound that way based on the information you've provided), I might continue to monitor him for a while longer.It sounds as if you know the signs to monitor which include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, inappetance, and increased thirst/urination. If you absolutely wanted to be safe, you could have him seen and bloodwork done to evaluate his kidney status; however, I wouldn't expect his values to be elevated just yet since he ate the currants yesterday and he's not showing any signs associated with kidney issues. It can often take several days for symptoms to develop. I hope this helps and that he remains symptom-free (which is what I would expect). Deb