How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 10262
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now

My dog accidently ate some currants in bread and water yesterday

Resolved Question:

My dog accidently ate some currants in bread and water yesterday at lunch time.We thought we heard him being sick this morning but couldn't find anything. He was alright on his walk this morning and is asleep beside me now. He isn't more thirsty than normal and doesnt have halitosis. It is a bank holiday. Should I be getting a vet to see him?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for Tyler. While currants can be toxic to dogs (as you know), I wouldn't expect ingestion of such a small amount to be of major concern. While a toxic dose amount hasn't been established since studies haven't been done, it typically takes ingestion of a fair amount of grapes, raisins or currants for significant issues to be seen. And, not all dogs who ingest these fruits will develop symptoms although why that's the case is poorly understood at this time. Since he's not otherwise acting terribly ill (at least he doesn't sound that way based on the information you've provided), I might continue to monitor him for a while longer.It sounds as if you know the signs to monitor which include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, inappetance, and increased thirst/urination. If you absolutely wanted to be safe, you could have him seen and bloodwork done to evaluate his kidney status; however, I wouldn't expect his values to be elevated just yet since he ate the currants yesterday and he's not showing any signs associated with kidney issues. It can often take several days for symptoms to develop. I hope this helps and that he remains symptom-free (which is what I would expect). Deb
Dr. Deb and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you