Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Panting and breathing heavy

panting and breathing heavy
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- How old is your dog? 2- Sex? 3- Breed? 4- How long has this been going on? 5- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

11 years male crossbreed artheritis

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Any coughing? 2- Is he currently on any medications? 3- Any vomiting or diarrhea? 4- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no coughing no medication no vomiting or diarrhea drinking and peeing a lot

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is he drinking more than usual?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes a lot

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, when a dog is panting and breathing heavy this can be caused by many different conditions. Anything from cardiovascular disease to a systemic disease are all possibilities. Having a history of arthritis it is also possible he could be painful secondary to the inflammation from arthritis. When dogs are in pain they can pant and breath heavy as well.The other important aspect that we need to consider is that he is drinking more than usual. When a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes.In this case unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC), urinalysis and +/-xrays as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by exam and test results. Highly recommend having him checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can. Very important to rule out things like diabetes, kidney disease, etc. these conditions could have a fatal outcome if not treated promptly. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter