Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My lurcher always comes to seek our company but recently just

Customer Question

My lurcher always comes to seek our company but recently just wants to be near us whenever awake. We have also noticed that his head keeps nodding spasmodically and I'm just worried that there may be something neurological going on? Any advice please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Shaggy's spasmodic nodding is considered an idiopathic (unknown cause) head tremor. These are episodic and may be confused with focal seizures. They're often precipitated by excitement or particular head positions and owners may describe a characteristic "yes" or "no"movement of the head and normal consciousness. Mentation (mental status) and gait remain normal during episodes. This type of tremor may improve and become less frequent over time and rarely causes any clinical dysfunction. You're correct that this is a neurologic disorder. The initial database should consist of a complete physical and neurologic exam including a complete blood count, serum biochemistry and urinalysis to assess for metabolic etiologies. Treatment might consist of "watchful waiting", corticosteroids such as prednisone, or perhaps anticonvulsive drugs predicated upon Shaggy's presentation and test results. Videoing an event will be very helpful for the attending vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I'll be traveling today and might not be able to respond as promptly as usual but I promise to reply as soon as possible.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate an update at your convenience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to say thank you for your answer. He's fine today but will be watching him for any further episodes .
Thank you for the good update. Yes, "watchful waiting" is appropriate. I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Please feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.