Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Dear ***** Jag has been on Ivermectin orally at a dose of

Customer Question

Dear *****
Jag has been on Ivermectin orally at a dose of 1.7ml daily since 15/2/15. At the last skin scraping done about a week ago, he still had the parasite but in smaller numbers. His hair is growing back, now a little slowly.
Shall we continue the treatment with 1.7 ml daily?
How long does it take for a dog to respond, considering that Jag had it very severely?
Thank you for your advice!
Kishwar and Jag
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear your dog has mites.. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. As long as mites are found on skin scrapings, you continue the daily ivermectin dose recommended by your veterinarian. It can take 3 to 6 months of treatment to clear up these parasites. Stopping the medication too soon could allow the mites to return. You should be doing skin scrapings every 1 to 2 weeks. When I get to where I find no mites at all on a scraping, I treat for another 1 to 2 weeks, and then do another scraping just to be sure there are still no mites. How much does Jag weigh and how old is he? Is this the full strength ivermectin, or was it made up just for him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jag was born on 15/4/14. He weighs 34kg
He is on normal strength Ivermectin, (1 ml containing 10mg Ivermectin).
Thank you for your advice
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that information. So you are giving 17 mg of ivermectin daily if you are giving 1.7 ml which is .5 mg per kilogram; sounds about right. Just keep getting skin scrapings every 2 weeks, and continue treatment for 2 weeks beyond a negative (no mites seen at all, alive or dead) scraping. Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else. Kindly consider rating my answer, when all your questions have been answered. Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating. Let me know how he is doing.
Rebecca